Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Penelopes challenge

Penelope says she will marry the man who can string my old bow and shoot an arrow through twelve axhandle sockets. So all the suitors tried to, and failed. I decided to ask for a turn, and gets it. I took my time, turning the bow, tapping it, for borings that termites might have made while the master of the weapon was abroad. I strung the bow in one motion. Then I slid my right hand down the cord and plucked it, it made a vibrating hummed and sang a swallow’s note. It made a clean whistle through ever socket ring. Then I said to my son,” Telemachus, the stranger you welcomed in your hall has not disgraced you.” He dropped his eyes and nodded, and the prince Telemachus, true son of King Odyseus, belted his sword on, clapped hand to his spear, and with a clink and glitter of keen bronze stood by his chair, in the forefront near his father.

No comments:

Post a Comment